Monday 10 November 2008

Miserable Monday

First things first. The good news is that there was no bad news last night regarding my stepson's concert trip. He stayed over at the house of one of the friends he went to the concert with, on the basis that his friend lived closer to school and it would be quicker to school this morning. All makes sense, doesn't it? Unless they sleep through the alarm in the morning (Fortunately that's the only bad news). My wife ended up driving over there, and having to wake them up and take them to school.

It is absolutely pissing down hard with rain at the moment and has been all morning. Am I motivated to go out to a meeting this afternoon or should I call in sick? That's right, no sickies no pay. So I will brave the rain and meet with two former colleagues that service institutional investors such as hedge funds. They have built up a solid business that is a leader in its niche. They are going to take me through their product in depth and we will see if I can be of assistance in helping market their product to a wider audience.

I run a networking group that is for people in my industry. It's now over 400 people a couple of months after launching, and I'm pretty happy with that growth. We are having our first London based social drink next week. I also do a Friday night recap of the week's events so last Friday I announced to everyone that I have left my previous employer. A lot of love came back at me and I'm touched. (Not love really, but certainly kind wishes and commiserations.) That Friday Wrap-up has got the word out to an even wider audience, and as they say, job hunting is about networking. With that, my industry blog, my profile on LinkedIn and some of the small media coverage my departure has generated, I don't think I can do any more.

Tonight I have a conference call with a US based consultant who is considering expanding into Europe. Doing the call via Skype, and it's the first time I've done that! I am such a 2.0 techie geek.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear your son was ok. That fatal stabbing was about 2miles from where I live. My teenage daughter is about to apply for some volunteer work at the local charity shop there which does freak me out. However, I grew up in Upton Park which is the mother of all shit-holes.

I personally blame NuLab for creating this nanny state where people are sooooo restricted in order to create a "level playing field" where "all children are A-Grade", and by helping in a very PC sugary-sweet way they are thwarting the very darwinian mechanism that brought us into being. Then again the Yankee Way of "Either you're living the American Dream or you're a LOSER!" doesn't work for me either. I dunno... :-(

So, sometimes Life is bitch. You have to be "Cruel to be kind", so if my daughter wants to, I'll let her work at the charity shop - will I be worried? You betcha.

zedman said...

I am really sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I am not working, but seem to have less time than ever.
Labour has been a disgrace. Put in power with overwhelming control of Parliament, they were in a position to make some real change happen. Instead we have a record number of laws enacted, constant tinkering with every programme going, and now they want to borrow to spend their way through the next few years. At our expense, because they'll hopefully have been chucked out by then. I am thrilled that Obama won the election, but control of Congress and Senate is also with the Democrats and there is an eerie parallel with Tony and Gordo. Hopefully they'll have a different result on the other side of the pond.
How do you balance your daughter's desire to volunteer with the gulp in your throat?