Friday 7 November 2008

For every step forward

Barack Obama speaking in Houston, Texas on the...Image via WikipediaThe whole world is celebrating the potential that Barack Obama's election holds for the world. Unfortunately there is no shortage of morons out there. The kind of challenges he faces in trying to change things are best exemplified by the comments from Silvio Berlusconi. At a joint press conference with the Russian president, Buffoonesconi described President Obama as having a nice "suntan". Words fail me (and that doesnt happen often).

Back to the hunt ... great day yesterday. At lunch yesterday someone gave me a suggestion that might lead me to the occasional, but very lucrative opportunity. He also made a proposal that will be of benefit to the growing number of people in my business who are losing their jobs. He has asked for my help in getting it done, and obviously I am happy to oblige. And then he even paid for lunch ... Result!

The Bank of England announced interest rate cuts of 1.5% - way beyond what anyone was expecting. I don't think that was anything to do with the fact that my mortgage gets re-rated in January, but who knows?

I also finally met someone in my business who sees some light at the end of the tunnel. His view is that from the point of view of traders, 2008 is a write-off and there is nothing anyone can do to make it better, so the objective is just not to lose any more. Makes sense, and anecdotally business is WAY down over the past month. When traders get to January, the slate is cleared and they are starting all over again.

Finally, I attending a really enjoyable cocktail party and had a few good discussions with some interesting people. This will lead to a couple of meetings next week and maybe even a little bit of spare cash in my pocket ... and a free lunch of course!

Today I am trying to get organised. I think I screwed up a bit and should have spent the early part of this week trying to sort myself out and have a bigger plan. I had tactics when what I needed was strategy. C'est la guerre!

I also am being interviewed by some consultants in the US for a report they are doing on the future of the industry. Best I do some prep work then!

Have a great weekend!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: