Thursday 6 November 2008

Hunting today

SSH auf dem BlackberryImage by fzurell via FlickrI have my PC back - no more pink Mac for me! It didn't do much for my rugged image.

Yesterday I had lunch with my former masters ... An enjoyable chat, a little bit of discussion on the US election, and we each shared our views on the outlook for the market. Most importantly from my point of view, we explored a few different topics that might lead to project opportunities for me in the coming months. I have some unique skills and I think they appreciate that there will be some areas where it would make sense for them to hire me rather than try to do it themselves. The bad news is that it won't likely be until the new year. I felt pretty good about myself though. I was able to hold my head up high because there really isn't anything I would have changed at my last firm.

I am looking forward to today. Networking and talking about my business is really my thing. I love it and I get a chance to do it today.

I have to get a new mobile phone. My existing phone is OK, but as I won't have an office for the foreseeable future I really need to have better mobility. Yes, this means a crackberry ... I mean blackberry. I am an addict and have been suffering badly since Friday.

I am having lunch with an old friend who started a consultancy in my business about 15 years ago. He has been very successful with the business having branched off into a number of different related businesses and sold out to another company last year. It will be interesting to get his comments, suggestions, ideas and Top Tips.

Then, I am following up from my financial adviser meeting yesterday. Signing some more papers and meeting up with someone who might be able to help me structure the consulting activity in a tax efficient way - all for a low set-up cost of course.

A quick stop off to help someone set up a blog! Yes, me, with all of my three months of experience behind me! Hope they aren't planning on making a living from it. I can give them some comments on what I did right and wrong, and the most important advice - Think about what you are trying to achieve before you start.

A late afternoon meeting with another old contact who runs the equity finance business for one of the leading banks. We had discussed a job earlier this year, but I was still pretty enthusiastic for my last product. Of course that was before the Lehman debacle that really crushed market sentiment. I think all banks have been impacted, so I don't really know what to expect.

Finishing off as a guest at a cocktail party for one of the consultants in this space. Don't have any idea who's going, so it could be interesting. Or not.

I am looking forward to today as I will be reconnecting with the market. However, I am getting quite frustrated with the lack of structure. I remember - and then forget - about a thousand things a day and my family thinks I am losing my marbles. I don't have anywhere to put stuff at the moment. I don't have a routine, and although that has never seemed important to me and something I have tried to avoid, I obviously miss it to an extent.

Anyway - that is for tomorrow. I am being interviewed tomorrow by some consultants who are doing a report on the industry, but other than that, I will have a chance to regroup and rethink my program.

The markets continue their roller coaster last night and this morning. Hang on, because that is going to be the case for months to come.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: