Saturday 6 December 2008

19 Days to Christmas

A tree with fibre optic lightsImage via WikipediaAnd what is left in the cupboards?
There was a story carried by Reuters a few days ago that said 50,000 job losses have been announced in the financial services sector around the world - THIS WEEK! I always wonder where all these people go when there is such massive dislocation. They can't all sit it out and wait. I met one guy last week who is training for his electricians' qualifications. People have to find work somewhere and there are very few jobs going anywhere.
Well, I finally got my first assignment in my new consultancy company. It was part of my regular mailings out to my contacts and one of them hit home. This coming week I am also doing some training of a publisher's sales team. They are apparently very good sales people but they are trying to penetrate a new industry. It's only a couple of hours at the most, but it gives me some revenue to set off against my expenses! It will pay for the commuting charges over the past few weeks, so that's a bit of a bonus. Hurray!
My wife has been knocking herself out this week working on a project for her interior design degree. 11, 12, 13 hours a day all week long. It's Saturday morning and she is at it again.
Who knows what joys the children will bring us this weekend? The boss and I are off to get a Christmas tree later today, with a view to the kids decorating it tomorrow. Will they still enjoy it as much as they used to, or is it a ritual that means most to my wife? Hmmmm ....



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Erik said...

Congrats on your first assignment!

There was a story on MSNBC that should accompany the article you read...20,000 U.S. troops on American soil by 2001. Things that make you go...hmmmmm.

There's a link on my blog regarding posse comitatus @ http://search4beauty.blogspot.com/2008/12/20000-troops-inside-us-by-2011.html
If you want to read it.

Again, congrats on your new opportunities. I wish you much success and financial comfort.